Tuesday, January 14, 2014

welcome 2014!

Number One

Well, I've finally done it. After years of contemplation, anxiety, just fear of the whole thing, I've decided to start my own photography business. It's always scary to try something new, especially when it's something you are completely responsible for despite it's success rate, BUT sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith and go for it. For all of my friends and family, I appreciate the support and motivation you've given me throughout the years. For those of you who don't know me as well, I'll tell you a little about myself.

My name is Paige (Roberts) Schicker. I was born in the cultural city of New Orleans, but have lived here in Jacksonville, Fl my whole life. My passion has always been art, ever since I can remember. From drawing, to painting, to photography, I've learned and loved it all. I attended the magnet middle school of LaVilla (the very first year it opened, too) and went on to attend high school at Douglas Anderson School of the Arts. For Jacksonville natives who did not go to this school, the imagery they have conjured up in their mind of the people who went there is just funny. They just picture this school ridden with goths, gays, and dorks. The "weird" artists. I won't deny it, those groups of people did exist, but they exist at every school. The people I went to high school with were awesome, and I learned so much. I do miss those days.

From there I went on to the University of North Florida, where I entered freshman year as a graphic design major. After one semester, I realized that it wasn't for me. A little lost on which major I should switch to, I nervously chose Photography. Nervously, because I took photography in high school, and apparently my photo teacher thought I was terrible (which I heard from my drawing/painting teacher. They liked to gossip about their students and clearly didn't mind spilling the beans about what the other said). But I figured Photography was the road to go down if I didn't want to "starve" once I graduated. So I took the chance of possibly being awful, and went with it.

It was one of the best decisions of my life. I absolutely fell in love with every aspect of it, from the brainstorming, to the technicalities, to developing your own film, and finally to developing your own images. The first time I watched one of my images come to life on that blank white paper as it lay submerged in the developer, just appearing out of nowhere like magic, I was amazed. It was so rewarding being able to create an image all the way from the camera to the darkroom. Not to mention, I had some of the most talented professors in the world, who helped mold and shape me into the photographer I am today. Especially Dominick Martorelli. He was rough around the edges, but he was a great teacher and mentor. He took me under his wing and put his faith in me and pushed me to try new things, and I am so so grateful. I'll never forget him.

After college I had a couple of lame jobs, just to pay the bills. And thank God for one of those lame jobs, because that is where I met my husband, and I am so lucky and blessed to have him in my life. He has supported me, motivated me, and inspired me to become whatever I want be, and I wouldn't have had the courage to pursue this dream if it wasn't for him.

So here I am, starting this new chapter of my life with an open heart and strong will. 2014 is going to bring a lot of changes to my life and I couldn't be more excited. So a big thank you to all of you who are standing behind me, to those I will have the pleasure of working with in the future, and to all of the new friends I hope to make.

Also, a BIG thanks to Krystal Blase Halvorsen of West House Photography, for all of your help and advice! You've been an inspiration.






No comments:

Post a Comment